Starbucks is the true star

Valerie Benzinger

“Despite the products being pricier than other coffee chains, the quality and variety of coffee along with their other drinks makes up for it.”

Anna Velazquez, Campus Life Editor

Starbucks, one of the world’s largest food chains with nearly 14,300 locations across the United States, can be found at almost every corner. After serving its first Frappuccino in 1995, Starbucks quickly began to gain popularity. Now, the food chain continues to offer its clients with ethical, high-quality coffee.

Despite what most people think, Starbucks has four available cup sizes, including tall, grande, venti and trenta. The 31-ounce cup, trenta, can only be used for cold drinks, such as iced teas and lemonades, and costs $3.45. While Starbucks’ prices are higher, customers are paying for higher quality coffee, as all the coffee is 100% ethically sourced. Although it can become expensive, drinks can also be completely customized depending on the customer’s wants or needs.

Unlike Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks has an extensive menu, offering more than coffee and donuts. Although it is primarily known for coffee, it also provides customers with a wide selection of non-caffeinated beverages, including iced teas and multiple variations of the Refreshers. The Refreshers are made with real fruit juice and can come with or without green coffee extract. While pets are not allowed inside the stores, Starbucks also offers a dog treat called the “Puppuccino,” which is a small espresso cup filled with whipped cream.

Apart from the outstanding drink possibilities, people of all ages buy drinks from Starbucks on a daily basis. Students enjoy sitting at Starbucks throughout the week to study and complete their school assignments. The availability of free WI-Fi attracts adults trying trying to work while enjoying a good cup of coffee.

Depending on the season, Starbucks also offers specialty drinks such as pumpkin spiced lattes and eggnog to introduce a nice twist to a regular coffee order. Along with delicious drinks, Starbucks has numerous food options, including, but not limited to baked goods, breakfast sandwiches, wraps and pre-packaged to-go snacks.

Caffeine addicts are always looking for a way to save money on their high-quality coffee. After becoming a Starbucks Rewards member, customers are able to get free refills on fresh-brewed coffee and tea during the same visit. As customers accumulate reward points, called Stars, they can also earn free food and drinks. Rewards members receive a free drink of their choice on their birthdays.

Overall, these factors contribute to Starbucks being superior. Some may think America runs on Dunkin’, but numerous people prefer paying a few extra dollars for Starbucks’ quality. Despite the products being pricier than other coffee chains, the quality and variety of coffee along with their other drinks make up for it. Starbucks is helping people get their coffee one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.

Graphic by Valerie Benzinger.